Tuesday, May 24, 2011

10 Things Tuesday.

It's Tuesday again. I'm not enjoying this one as much as the last one. I started mid-shift on Sunday night, and adjusting to the change has been horrible.

Over the weekend I had an allergic reaction to something. No idea what. But it left me with hives all over my body. It started on my belly, spread to my sides and back. The next day it spread up my back and onto my arms. Yesterday, when I finally got to see a doctor, it had spread down my thighs as well. The doctor put me on 3 different meds for it. She said they wouldn't make me drowsy. So I thought it would be safe to take at work last night. By the time 2 AM hit, I felt drunk off my ass and I was spinning in circles on the flight line. Those runway lights aren't so pretty when they're moving like that....

Definitely not taking those tonight.


Since we're on the subject of meds and doctors, this week I'll do 10 fun visits to the doctor.


1. When I was about 13, my dad told us not to climb in the apple trees on our farm. Climbing them is the only way to get the good apples, and it was something we successfully did all the time. Until that day. I was stretching as far as I could and just about had that perfect green apple in my hand....and heard a really slow cracking sound. The entire half of the tree where I was standing came crashing down. Not a fun ride....

2. I left a Jones Soda bottle in my truck one day at work. It was spring, so it wasn't hot yet. When I got in the truck at the end of the day, I picked up the bottle to sit my water in that cup holder. The soda inside started fizzing up and the lid blew off. It sounded like a gun shot. The pressure mangled the lid, which in turn mangled my face. It was cut from the bottom of my jaw all the way up the left side of my face. I still have no idea how that happened....

3. One night I was outside talking on the phone. I heard a low growl and hissing coming from the flowers next to me. I stood up to walk back to the house. I turned too fast in the wet grass. Instead of running away from the possum in the flowers, I fell face and shoulder first into the ground. It dislocated the shoulder so I couldn't even push myself back up.

4. My body has a hard time dealing with the hormones in birth control pills. I stay sick and lose a lot of weight when I take them. My OB finally decided to try that Nuva Ring thing since the hormones are released differently. It was going great for a few days. Then I had an allergic reaction to it. To make it all worse, the ER nurse I had that night was a very young, very attractive male nurse. I'm not sure who was more embarrassed that night.... 

5. When I worked in Boston, our building had a gym next to our shop. The guys in my shop were a bunch of meat heads that liked to work out during lunch. I usually sat in there just for conversation, so they finally talked me into lifting weights with them. We started out really easy, with 2 20 pound weights. My supervisor was supposed to be my spotter. I got really fatigued. He got distracted. I dropped both weights on my face before I could get his attention. Two cuts and some bruises later, I had to explain to my 2nd in command why my eye was bandaged....

6. My now ex-husband and I got married before he was able to move in with me. When he finally made it up there, his first night in our new home, I got up to pee in the middle of the night. I tripped on the middle step of the staircase, rolled the rest of the way to the bottom, and was finally thrown out into the floor. My foot was caught on the metal grate over the air vent in the floor, ripping the bottom half of my big toe back. I was supposed to be in a color guard for a parade that next morning....

7. I was standing watch at the gate of my last duty station. There was a magnetic gate for pedestrians. My hand got stuck in it. I couldn't reach the button to release the magnet. My hand was bleeding. I had to radio for the guy in charge that day to come quickly and bring bandaids. I had to apologize to the people that couldn't get through....

8. I was sent to the ER for a really bad kidney infection. I was directly across from the nurses station. My IV started backing out. I don't know what happened or how it happened, but I had a fountain of blood spraying in one direction and IV fluid spraying in the other. I had to have a new IV and a new gown....

9. I put my seat belt on in the backseat of my mom's Explorer, on our way to my little brother's football practice. There was a Japanese hornet that I didn't see until he fell off the seatbelt into my tank top. Those things don't just sting, they bite. I felt something crawling but didn't think anything about it, so I just tried to brush it out. Then it bit me. And then stung me as I was trying to dig it out. And then latched onto my finger and continued biting. I was frantically flinging my hand around trying to throw it off my finger and Dad finally grabbed my hand and killed it. (With a fork, might I add.) I ended up being stung twice and bit twice, with some awful swelling and fist sized bruising....on my right boob, my right pointer finger, and that space between the two fingers.

10. I pulled a muscle in my back and shoulder when I was still living at home. The nurse at work sent me over to the ER before my shift ended. After the xrays and everything, the ER nurse came in to give me some meds. It was a male nurse. That lived down the street. And was talking about my little brother playing with his kids. While he was giving me a shot in my ass. Awkward, to say the least....



Now, a nap before another long night....

0 comments:

Post a Comment